Anyway, since 2009 I have gotten over 1100 comments on the blog post and probably at least another 1000 emails with requests for the pattern. Which means I have sent the pattern to more than 2000 quilters in the us and around the world! Crazy, to think about!
Unfortunately, some comments did not include an email address so I was unable to fulfill the requests. I also moderate comments as I was getting a lot of spam. Because of this there is a delay before a comment is posted so some people commented more than once thinking it didn't work. I usually only publish one comment per person in those cases. Also, if you don't want your inbox filled with comments from other folks make sure you check your settings.
I have changed the pattern slightly over the years and my latest version has a new size added to it (60" X 80"). I have tried to add more information to the pattern to answer some of the questions I have received from folks over the years. The most commonly asked questions is whether you should add seam allowance to the measurements I have given and the answer is a resounding NO! It is included in the 2", 4", 6", etc. Also, the strips ARE cut 1" wide.
I have never charged for the pattern, but I have given folks information about making donations to a couple of charities. First it was Relay for Life to help fight cancer, but more recently I have asked for donations to Lutheran World Relief. Lutheran World Relief is an organization that helps people all around the world by providing quilts, soap, personal care kits, school kits, layettes and sewing kits to people with nothing. They also have a program working to fight malaria and a program to provide people and villages with livestock, wells, schools, etc. I am very proud of the work they do all over the world. They are currently on the ground in Nepal following the devastating earthquakes there.
In March, when my husband and I took our two oldest grandchildren to the east coast we were able to visit one of the LWR warehouses in Maryland and the kids were able to watch as they squished quilts and wrapped them in bales to prepare them for shipping.
|The quilt folding area and pallets |
with bales of quilts.
|Almost done making a bale.|
|Folding the quilts to be baled.|
|Weighing a bale.|
Here is a link if you are interested in learning more or would like to donate click here: Donate to LWR To donate in my honor you will need my mailing address: Alicia Wells, PO Box 596, Olalla WA 98359.
In the email that I send out with the pattern I also have asked quilters to send me pictures of quilts they have made using the pattern and here are..
|A two-piece cover for the couch |
in Marilyn's motor home.
|Rhoda in South Dakota made this |
one along with the next two.
|Made from Crown Royal bags|
|From Karin in the UK. She said that she enjoyed cutting the pieces and figuring out the layout but the quilting was a bit daunting so she put it in the cupboard for a while to percolate and then finished it in one day!|
|The quilting is fun on this one by Virginia|
She added rows to make it larger.
|This one is from Judith.|
|This one is from Michelle |
who added an extra row
to make it long enough
for her son.
|Memory Quilt made by Glenda|
|Becky made this for a raffle. |
She wasn't happy with the way it
turned out but I think it is great!
|This is one started at the class |
I did for my quilt guild.
|This one has wider sashing. |
Becky did it as a Quilt As You Go.
|Here is a shot of the back|
|Susan used decorative stitching |
for the quilting on the strips
on this test sample.
|Phyllis used a maroonish red for the strips|
|Linda made this for |
her granddaughter, Amanda.
|Phil did this larger adaptation, |
saying, "the quilt was surprisingly
easier than I expected it to be."
|This one is a work in progress|
from a first time quilter.
|Jackie made this for her grandson.|
I think he likes it.
|Sandra added extra rows |
and used red for sashing.
Can you see the darker 'bat' shape in there?
|This is Susan from Australia |
showing the quilt she made
for her son using his jeans.
Mary made this king size top
using some added bits of lace and
some buttons along with blocks
from various embroidered
denim shirts, jackets and jumpers.
|Melissa made this one |
and embroidered a squirrel,
her god-daughter's name
and her college name.
|Ann made this one using |
platinum strips and added
some pillow shams for her son.
|This is Theresa's WIP for her |
daughter with an Americana theme.
These pictures really show the versatility of this pattern! I am currently working (when I get a chance) on using up all the denim I have. I am guessing I have enough to make 10-20 or more quilts using the new 60" X 80" pattern.
So, if after reading this update you want the updated pattern, either comment and give me your email address or click on View My Profile on the right and then click on Email Me on the left.