Thursday, September 13, 2012

Three Weeks!

I have been finding it hard to sit down and write something worthy of posting on this blog. I wasn't getting much done in the sewing room because of work and recuperation so no pictures or news! Things were happening though. I am enjoying working again as a church secretary and, as of Tuesday, I no longer have the bookkeeping portion of the job to do. I will still be doing some training but I don't have to do the work!

My sister was here for Labor Day weekend for a meeting but, as always, she was multi-tasking! We celebrated her oldest daughter's birthday (that is my niece, Katie), canned a picking of my green beans, picked blackberries, did the hand-sewing of the binding on a wedding quilt, helped me shop for some new clothes for work and went to the wedding of Katie's former roommate. I got to tag along to the wedding (isn't that what little sisters do?). They had a photo booth at the reception to get pictures of the guests for the guest book. We got to keep one strip and here is the best of the 4. That's me on the left and my sister on the right.
People say we look alike but I don't see it so much. The wedding and reception/dinner were at the Weyerhaeuser Mansion in Tacoma, WA. It was a beautiful old building. Here is a picture of the ceiling in the room where the dinner was held. Wouldn't that be a beautiful appliqued quilt?
Once I was finally done with my antibiotics I really started feeling good again. I am now getting used to going to work everyday and I think because I have less free time I am getting better at using it wisely. I still have almost a week before I can get back to my usual activities and I am sure it will take some time to be able to do the work outside that I used to!

I realized that the quilt exchange my friends and I do each year (here and here) was coming up very soon and I hadn't even come up with a plan for the one I am doing for Nadine. I started searching on the web for some ideas for my project and found some pictures of one on Flickr that I thought would be great. There was no information about the pattern but I was able to draw it out and got started cutting and sewing. I got most of it together but there were no pictures of the corners of the quilt so I am waiting for the person who originally posted the pictures to post a shot of the corners. She has said she would. Once I have that picture I should be able to get the last 16 blocks done and then get it quilted and finished. Hopefully in plenty of time for the reveal!

One of my best friends is moving to Japan for 3-5 years because her husband is being transferred there for his job. She is in the middle of sorting through the house they have lived in for 15 years with their 4 children! She found some fabric that was her mother's (she lost her mom 14 years ago) and she gave it to me. I have trimmed them all to 5.5" squares and sewn them together. I need to add some borders so it will be a nice sized lap quilt and get it quilted so I can present it to them as a going-away gift.

Another friend of mine has a granddaughter getting married in a couple of weeks and she made a quilt for her and asked me to quilt it. In the last couple of days after work I got it basted and quilted so I can deliver it to her today with plenty of time left for her to get the binding done.

Well, that gets us caught up for now. I keep thinking I will be better about blogging but part of my problem is that I need to have my computer updated as I just don't have room on it for all my photos. Hopefully I can get that done in the next couple of weeks and then I should be better about posting, especially as I get back into the sewing room and accomplish something!

No comments: