Sunday, July 31, 2011

Finishes and Flowers

We will start with the flowers. Right now I have Shasta Daisies blooming all over. I wish they were well-behaved daisies that weren't over-achievers but instead, I have crazy daisies! Mine grow to be 3-5 feet tall which means they have trouble standing up! This first clump is fenced in with the three little trees that my niece and I planted on the hill last summer. You can actually see some of each of the trees in this picture along with our yard art potato planter.
This next picture shows just how persistent these daisies are - when my grandson was here over July 4th he decided that my daisies would make a nice soft bed. When I went up a few days later to cut them off and hope for next year I discovered that the flowers had just started growing up a bit so they are now about 6-12" high in a 3' circle around the little tree they were protecting from the deer. 
Here is the first finish for the weekend. I got it quilted on Friday morning and finished up the binding last night and today I took it up to our neighbor's house as a good-bye gift as they are in the process of moving out and we have enjoyed them as neighbors. My grandson will miss 'his girls'! It will be interesting to see what the new renters will be like. 
Another finish is this quilt top. This is the quilt top made from the blocks the kids at the daycare made this past week. I ended up with 21 blocks from them (the ones with the white) but that wasn't enough to make a decent sized quilt so I made some more and got them put together with sashing. All of the fabrics are 'scrubs' fabric that was donated to me. In the next week or so we will be tying this with the kids and then we are going to sell drawing tickets for the quilt and the proceeds will go to LWR for freight costs. 
The quilt for our church's summer fun nights is coming along nicely. Two sections are done so far and sewn together. I need to get the next section done tomorrow morning so I am ready for Wednesday evening. I am picking up my niece at the train station at around noon and she will be helping me with some yard/garden work so I don't know if I will have time after that. I am anxious to see how it all turns out!

No comments: