Sunday, July 17, 2011

Piles of fabric

Someone dropped off three huge garbage bags of fabric at church for the quilting ladies. It was pretty decent fabric so I proposed that I take it home and use it to make some nicer quilts that could be used for baptisms, graduations, comfort quilts, etc. and I would donate some of my larger pieces of fabric to be used for LWR quilts and backs. The proposal was accepted to I schlepped the bags home and on Sunday afternoon I went through all the fabric. I took out some of the larger pieces or pieces that I didn't feel I would use in a quilt and put them on the LWR pile and also cleaned out some of my larger pieces and ended up with about 2 huge garbage bags to give back! I sorted through the fabric some more and divided it into some different groups of colors or styles.
The biggest piles was florals. Now, these are not my favorite type of fabric so I don't buy much but there are a lot of patterns that work well with a variety of florals so I pulled those out first and cut some of the 'darker' ones up for two quilt tops. I now have the two tops almost put together, just need to sew the borders on, which I hope to do tomorrow. (I originally wrote this post on Saturday but didn't end up posting it until today so the two quilts are done but I don't have the pictures ready yet.)


Thursday afternoon, my niece, Brita, and three of her friends arrived for a visit to Washington. We had a nice dinner and a good visit that evening. In the morning after blueberry muffins and raspberries and strawberries I dropped them off at the ferry for a day in Seattle. Yesterday evening we picked them up after dinner and came home and watched Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 so we will be ready for Part 2 at the theater! This morning the girls were up and out of the house by 6 heading up to the San Juans. I didn't wake up until 8 which is pretty amazing for me!


Brita's sister, Katie, was here also and she and I got some sewing done. She quilted a baby quilt yesterday and then today quilted two little paper-pieced wall-hangings and got the bindings on those ready for hand sewing. We also went to the local farmer's market to check it out. I figure if you live less than a mile from something you should go at least once! I ended up getting a nice Hosta for my yard and a little Lion's Head Japanese Acer tree. On our way to pick up the girls at the ferry we stopped and got some border fabric for a couple quilts that need finishing and also a pot to replant the tree so I have another project!

No comments: