Monday, January 5, 2009

My Holidays

I have been very bad about posting this holiday season. There have been many contributing factors. Let us start with the snow, and then there was some more snow, and then some more. Then we drove across the state to yet more snow! On top of that I had Grammy duties to attend to so I didn't get much time for posting or sewing. I did get this little cutie made over Christmas, in between diaper changes, reading stories, holding a sleeping angel, etc. It is about 6.5" square.

Our trip back home was mostly uneventful but included bringing a 3 year old with us. Lots of fun but boy can he wear his grammy out! Luckily he likes to go shopping so I was able to hit one LQS for their end of the year sale plus my birthday shopping spree. They had fat quarters 20 for $25 so I picked up 40. I also got the tan/gold batik for the sashing of this Christmas quilt. I still need a border but haven't decided what that will be yet. Probably something using up some of my Christmas scraps and stash - strips? squares? The blocks for this are some Grandmother's Flower Garden pieces I had originally planned to use for ornaments but ended up appliqueing them onto squares of Christmas fabric. I got this much together this morning and will start looking at the borders this evening or tomorrow.

This is what I put together using the charm pack of Recipe for Friendship fabrics that I got for my birthday. I added another charm pack and the red and green yardage along with black Kona that I always have on hand. I like how it turned out and plan to use black for the binding.

For added excitement around New Year's our son called on Friday morning because he had gotten his BIL's truck stuck in a snowbank at the side of the highway and had to be towed and then that evening he called - very disoriented and distressed - after having fallen on the ice while going for a walk (he decided driving in the snow and ice wasn't a good plan!). He ended up with a nasty concussion but the folks at the emergency room said he would be ok. Still doesn't remember exactly what happened or how long he might have been out, etc.

1 comment:

Rosalyn Manesse said...

Hope that your son is better now. So, here's another version of a nine-patch--very nice, too