Monday, May 25, 2009

Beginnings

Almost a year ago I posted about the Cathedral Window Quilt I was getting going on and I asked if anyone was interested in swapping some charm squares of whatever color I decided to go with.

I ended up with yellow and Amy at The Calico Cat sent me a pile of yellows. I used up all the squares of yellow I had so I started cutting into the pieces from Amy. Instead of figuring out which of hers I didn't have she just sent the pile which included some that I decided were too orange-y or too brown but there were still lots!!!! Amy was also very generous in the size of the pieces she sent as most of them were at least 3" X 5". Since I only need squares a little over 1.75" I was able to cut a bunch of 2.5" squares.

As I was doing my cutting I was thinking about my new grand-niece and the quilt I would make for her and suddenly had the inspiration that the yellow squares would work nicely. Once I had all of those cut I went through my scraps and came up with enough yellows and blues to make 16 16-patch squares.

Here are the blocks I have made that may or may not be the baby quilt for little Helen. I am leaning towards 'yes' but the final decision has not been made. I need to take the blocks to my LQSs and figure out sashing. I could frame each block with white and then sash them with a yellow, blue or green and then add a border of some sort but I am going to hold off on that decision until I have a lot of fabrics to help me decide!

No comments: