Saturday, July 31, 2010

Getting there

So in spite of being somewhat handicapped by my right hand I managed to dig out that forsythia bush. Here it is so you can get an idea of its size.

The house we live in used to be owned by my great uncle. It was built in 1910 and he moved in sometime in the 1940s. When I was a kid we used to come over to visit Uncle Ted and Aunt Lydia frequently from our home about 50 miles away. They were much like grandparents to us. We were spoiled with a candy dish that our parents had no control over, Eskimo Pies, milkshakes and Schnapps (glasses of 7-Up!). The house is out in the country so there were gardens, room to run and cows. There were also two small cement ponds with goldfish back then. Later, they were just home to pollywogs that we would catch and release each week to see how they were developing. The ponds were next to trees and not surprisingly, as the trees grew the roots caused the ponds to crack so shortly after we moved into the house I filled in the ponds with dirt and planted flowers, etc.

One of those ponds was where I have been digging and I used a sledge hammer to break up the edge a bit and that is the pile in the foreground of this picture. Back under the tree are the rocks that were around the edge of the pond.

My plan for this area is to take out the grass between the chairs and the house and put in a patio of some sort and extend that under the chairs. Then our picnic table can go in the area which is shaded nicely in the evenings.

I have been diligently working on the quilting on the wedding quilt and no other sewing so still no quilty type pictures. This week I will have the grandkids again so I probably won't get much sewing of any kind done but you never know what might happen during nap time.

1 comment:

Rosalyn Manesse said...

What a homey place! Looks like such a quiet haven.