Friday, August 10, 2007

Trimming scraps

I probably should be working on machine quilting some projects but I have been distracted again...

On most Tuesday evenings I traipse over to my neighbor's craft room for a few hours of chatting and crafts. We all quilt and some throw in scrapbooking, stamping, cardmaking and other crafts. About 3 weeks ago we all decided that we would work together to make a quilt and then donate it to a charity yet to be determined. We each were tasked with cutting 110 different 6" squares and 110 different 1 1/2" X 8 1/2" strips to be made into blocks like these...

The other three quilters involved in this project expected me to go home and get mine done in the next few days. Well, I have procrastinated and this week Sally had all her pieces cut and by the end of the evening she had 25 squares sewn and trimmed. Yesterday she emailed the above picture of her 110 finished squares. Nadine also had all her pieces cut and Linnea has most of hers cut and had 12 sewn on Tuesday. So tonight I started going through my scraps to start my cutting. I am also sorting my scraps. I am cutting smaller pieces into 2, 2 1/2, 3, 3 1/2, 4 and 4 1/2 inch squares, leaving longer strips to be used for those things you don't need squares for, sorting out triangles and putting the smaller stuff into the basket for crazy quilt blocks.

I have made it through a very small portion of my scraps so far but I have 32 strips cut so far and about 8 squares. I also have lots of small squares ready for scrap quilts. It is time to tame the scrap pile!

1 comment: